Friday, November 20, 2015

The Long Overdue Gift

When I was twelve years old I was a pretty good student in school.  In fact, as a seventh grader I had straight A's.....with one exception.  I had an F in sewing.  I'm not quite sure how it happened.  I was not forced to take the class.  At the beginning of the class I looked forward to learning how to sew.  My mother took me shopping for a material and a pattern to make a blouse.  I chose it myself.  Then I hated it.  It was red fabric with palm trees.  Horrible.  It was the 1970's and a lot of stuff was horrible, but this was worse than the usual horrible.  The pattern was also pretty ugly once I got going on it.  I could not see a reason to finish a project that was not going to be worth the trouble.  I wanted to change it but I could not.  So I just didn't do it.  I was reluctant, then stubborn, then absolute in my refusal to finish it.  I got an incomplete in the class.  When I still didn't finish it, I got an F. 

Over the next few years, my mother tried to get me to do a little sewing at home.  I had a new sister born when I was 15 and my mom tried to get me to make a couple of things for her.  I loved her, but not the projects.  Thinking back I don't know if I really hated it, or if I was determined not to do it so I acted like I hated it.  There is not a difference in the finished product no matter the reason for not doing it.

My mother sewed for me.  She made dresses for me.  I remember my 8th grade graduation dress fondly.  My girls would think it was hideous to look at....but it was the 1970's.  My mother made me dresses for various dances.  I don't think I ever showed enough gratitude for spending that kind of time to make something for me. 

Earlier this year I made a new friend.  She's an unexpected friend.  She's a bonus and a blessing in my life.  She loves to sew and started teaching me three months ago.  I don't even have a machine.  I sew at her house for a few hours every week or two.  She is so generous with her time.  I hardly know how to thank her. 

Well the first project I made was a simple quilt.  I cut and sewed the pieces together and then had someone machine quilt it.  I really enjoyed this project.  I've told people who are good at this type of thing not to look at it too closely, because I am definitely a beginner. 

Two weeks ago it was my mother's birthday.  She was randomly staying here at my house so we put on a little party for her.  I gave her the quilt as a birthday gift.  I told her that I appreciated how she tried to teach me to sew and that I was sorry that I didn't show enough gratitude back then or make much of an effort.  I told her it only made sense that I should give this first project to her.  It felt good to acknowledge the things she did for me in the past.  I'm so glad she was able to spend her birthday with me.



Here are my cute parents.

She didn't get all the candles out at once....

I think she liked this long overdue gift.




No comments: